In the time of Jesus, the genealogy is traced on the male (Father) side. So it is quite interesting to observe that in Matthew 1, there are 5 women who were mentioned as part of Jesus’ lineage.
1. Tamar, the daughter in law of Judah (whom Judah got pregnant with twins)
2. Rahab, the prostitute of Jericho
3. Ruth, a Moabite (non-Israelite, a Gentile like most of us)
4. Bathsheeba, the woman with whom David committed adultery
5. Mary, who in her time was considered a fornicator for becoming pregnant outside wedlock.
Now consider this:
Why would God, choose to allow 5 women with “bad records in the eyes of man” and qualified them to be worthy to carry the genes that will make up Jesus’ earthly body?
Answer: To show that God’s GRACE disqualifies no one to be part of his family. Those he calls, He justifies. And those he justifies, he qualifies and glorifies (Rom 8:30).
Your history, no matter how bad it is, can be His story. If Jesus did not care about your past, why would you?